Monday 17 October 2011

Story #5

I always loved going out for coffee with Mum, whether it was to take a break from shopping, alongside a meal or just as a treat, I was up to going out for coffee with her any day! Today in particular, she had decided she was going to take me out for coffee after our morning walk. Our walks had become ritual when I was at home, but going out for coffee this morning was just a special treat! Every other day we had made machine coffees at home and although they always tasted good, there was nothing quite like going out for a ‘proper’ coffee.

So, after our walk we wandered down along the beach before heading into the township to our local café. It looked busy from the outside, but that didn’t stop us. Heading to order we bumped into my aunty and uncle, not suprising as most of my family lived in this little town! We stood by their table for a while and the conversation flowed easily. It was nice to see them and it just made me think about all the other people who have coffee rituals like my mum and I.

It was awfully hot inside the café, which prompted us to cut the conversations, order our coffees and head outside to find a table. It was nice not to have to pay for once, one of the things I loved about going out for coffee with mum. We settled ourselves in at a table overlooking the street and relaxed back to enjoy the morning.

The day was overcast, but not cold. Mum had told me that it was meant to reach 21 degrees but it didn’t look like it would at this stage! Nevertheless, it was nice that it wasn’t cold enough to have to sit inside. As we waited for our coffees we chatted away about our plans for the week ahead and what we were going to do that afternoon. It was so nice to just sit with mum and talk properly, I loved hanging out and it was so nice to be at home with her away from the many study stressors of Dunedin.

Our drinks arrived, and we downed them pretty quickly. Not because we were in a rush to leave, but because they tasted delightful just as I’d hoped they would. It’s funny, as I looked back I thought about how it was only a few short years ago that I used to hate the taste of coffee! Now, however, I would quite happily drink it all day! If only it didn’t keep me up all night…not that this is always a bad thing, especially round assignment times!

Once completely finished, we got up to leave, pushed our chairs in, yelled out a brief thank you and left. We promptly walked through the rest of the township, looking through the shops as we passed by and continued our walk all they way home. It was the perfect way to spend the morning and I hoped that we would go out for coffee again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment